The Pennsylvania Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) offer several ways to combat the spread of germs this cold and flu this season.
Teach and encourage your children to use preventive measures at school and at home:
- Wash hands properly with soap and running water.
Wet hands, lather hands with soap, scrub hands for at least 20 seconds, rinse and dry hands. Teach children to sing the “Happy Birthday” twice while scrubbing. (Learn more.)
- Cover mouth and nose when coughing and/or sneezing (with a tissue or the crook of their arms).
- Avoid touching their eyes, nose and mouth.
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
Parents can help prevent the spread the germs with everyday preventive actions:
- Keep your children home when they are sick. (Learn more.)
- Clean household surfaces, such as faucets, door knobs and other frequently handled items.
- Ensure you and your family get the flu shot.
For more information, visit the CDC’s flu prevention webpage.