|Kate Saulter, LAT, ATC|
Certified Athletic Trainer
(570) 744-2521, ext. 2144
|ABOUT THE ATHLETIC TRAINER|
Athletic trainers are highly qualified, multi-skilled health care professionals who collaborate with physicians to provide preventative services, emergency care, clinical diagnosis, therapeutic intervention and rehabilitation of injuries and medical conditions.
Athletic training encompasses the prevention, examination, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of emergent, acute or chronic injuries and medical conditions. It is recognized by the American Medical Association, Health Resources Services Administration and the Department of Health and Human Services as an allied health care profession.
Availability to Student Athletes
Services are available to students participating in school-sanctioned, PIAA sports during season.
The athletic trainer is available during the school year on Monday-Friday, after 2 pm until practice begins, or by appointment/during study halls with prior approval. Services may be requested by students, parents and/or coaches.
The athletic trainer is also on-site at practices and games to evaluate and/or treat injuries.
Any athlete who is suspected of having sustained a concussion or has concussion-like symptoms will be immediately removed from athletic activity. Athletes may not return to practice or play until they are evaluated and cleared in writing by a licensed physician (trained in concussion evaluation) to return to physical activity. Student athletes will then need to successfully complete the five-step Return to Play Concussion Protocol (PDF) before they can return to full contact.
MORE ABOUT CONCUSSIONS:
- NEB Board Policy 123.1: Concussion Management
- Pennsylvania Law: Safety in Youth Sports
- NATA Position Statement (PDF)
- Know the "red flags" of Concussion | Concussion 101 Handout (PDF)
- View PDFs and videos about sports injuries and prevention | https://www.atyourownrisk.org/resources/
- Resources for Parents | https://www.atyourownrisk.org/parents/
- Resources for Students | https://www.atyourownrisk.org/studentathletes/
- PIAA District IV | http://www.piaad4.net
- Learn more about Athletic Training | National Athletic Trainers Association and Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education